Md. Man Arrested In Murder For Hire Case | News
Leesburg, Va. (WUSA) - Police arrested Wendell Brian Mansel, from Annapolis, Md. in a murder for hire case, the Leesburg Police Department said on Tuesday.
Earlier this year, Mansel approached a Leesburg man while looking to hire a contract killer. The Leesburg man contacted police and an immediate investigation launched. Leesburg Police used an undercover officer to pose as a hit man. Over the course of several weeks, Mansel traveled to Leesburg to meet with the undercover officer to plan out how to kill his wife. Officers coordinated with investigators from Anne Arundel County Police to insure the wife's safety while the investigation took place.
On August 3, Mansel went to Leesburg once again to meet with the undercover officer but this time delivered a gun and other valuables as partial payment. He was immediately arrested.
This investigation involved assistance from the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office, Northern Virginia Gang Task Force and the ATF.
Mansel was charged with attempted capital murder, murder for hire and soliciting murder for hire. He is being held without bond.
Top Leesburg Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- NFL Commissioner Writes Letter To Native American Leaders, Says Redskins Name Represents "Positive Meaning"
- Man Wanted For Lewd Act At Va. Shopping Center
- Goose Creek Village Shopping Center Hosts Family Fun on June 8 with a Summer Dollar Sidewalk Stroll
- Hundreds Still Without Power In Loudoun County
- Calif. wildfire grows, but weather may aid fight